There are several Powers that manipulate matter, and many of them affect one particular substance only. This is a list of types of matter that can be manipulated with all of these powers. The substances under the double-cost heading make associated powers double-cost and may not be allowed by the Mastermind. Ask first. Note that some substances are homogeneous or even elemental (like oxygen) while eithers are quite heterogeneous (like dirt). Obviously, many more types of matter exist than are treated here; consult the Mastermind to determine the relative cost of these substances (and whether or not they are allowed).
Single Cost Types — common substances that, of themselves, present no immediate damaging effect on contact with human flesh:
- Any common element that is gaseous at room temperature (oxygen, hydrogen, etc.)
- Air (as per normal atmosphere, whether that's earth's atmosphere or wherever the super happens to come from — a mixture of nitrogen, oxygen, water vapor, and carbon dioxide with trace gases)
- Any common, naturally occurring compound that is gaseous at room temperature, and is not caustic or actively poisonous, even if it is not breathable (including methane, but not nerve gas or sour gas)
- Any element that is liquid at room temperature (mercury, bromine)
- Any common, naturally occurring compound, mixture or suspension that is liquid at room temperature (water, milk, etc.) that is not caustic, actively poisonous, etc.
- Any common element that is solid at room temperature (carbon, iron, aluminum, etc.)
- Any common, naturally occurring compound, alloy, etc. that is solid at room temperature, that is not alive, radioactive, caustic, or otherwise immediately injurious to human flesh (steel, dirt, plastic, etc.)
Double Cost Types — substances that are either rare, hazardous/damaging, or both:
- Poisons, such as arsenic, nerve gas, etc.
- Radioactive or unstable substances such as plutonium, cesium, etc.
- Caustic substances, including acids, bases, and other aggressive solvents
- Highly reactive substances, including fluorine or francium
- Rare or highly valuable substances, such as gold or platinum
- Powerful/rare substances, such as adamantium, vibranium, carbonadium, kryptonite (be sure to check with the Mastermind before using one of these).
- Substances are not created at room temperature, such as magma, or solid oxygen.